These sockets do everything well:
- They are completely robust
- The lock mechanism is intuitive and easy to use
- They grip the cable extremely well
- They give a reliable, low resistance connection
- They can be colour coded with little rings (XXR) or backs (BXX)
- They are really easy to assemble: Great big solder buckets, clear markings and the only thing you need to put onto the cable before you strip it is one part: the back.
If you want to save some money the same socket is available with a nickel case instead of black.
There is also a slightly cheaper model with silver plated connections instead of gold (part NC3 FXX BAG). Eventually the gold plating on these sockets will wear away; while the silver plating on the Ag model is thicker, but silver is subject to tarnishing by airborne sulphides, so choose by your application.
If you want to pay a bit more there is a model with rhinestones embedded in it, but I haven't yet met that special someone who wants an XLR connector...