The M80 is a great tool for controlling overtones and sustain on your snare or tom. The minimum dampening already controls about as much as a single gel dampened and full dampening worth two or three dampeners. However, the leather is quite light, so the effect is slightly more like a gate than a gel dampener is. Clamps on very reliably and is very quick to adjust from no dampening to little to full dampening. Unlike gel dampeners, this does not mess up your drumheads with any sticky residue, and can be left on the drum when put in a case and going out to play live. The only slight drawback is the very subtle difference of the half damping compared to full or minimum damping.
- minimum damping already produces a notable effect
- very fast and easy to use
- stays in place securely
- does not leave any stickiness on your head
- minimum dampening might already be a bit much for anyone looking for a very subtle effect
- medium dampening is very subtle between minimum and full dampening
- might want to consider how much space this takes with brushes or cross-sticking