Shure SM 58 - the world's most used full-bodied vocal microphone
DORA Music, 18.12.2010
And this certainly has its reasons:
1. The robustness. While others break down faster, the Shure SM 58 stops most of the shocks.
2. The sound. It sounds deliberately a "sharper" track than a similar one, but most of the time you want to have it so, and you do not have to screw around so much at the mixing console to get an assertive song.
3. The notoriety. Everyone knows it - every singer, every sound engineer. It is not an "experiment"; Everyone thus has the most experience; The singers know exactly how they sound with it, and the sound engineers know exactly what they need to do to make it sound good.
4. The tradition. Already Mick Jagger has sung "Satisfaction" and numerous other Stones hits since 1965.
5. The versatility. It is the microphone that fits to most voices. It may be that some singers use a different microphone better; But a Shure SM 58 seldom rejects anyone.
In my opinion, for example, a Shure Beta 58 is much better off the lower notes (eg deep G in male voices) than the SM 58. But still most bands give the SM 58 the advantage over the beta 58 (I've actually evaluated a total of 75 Technical Riders from German professional bands to buy my live mics afterwards.)
Of course, a Shure Beta 87, a Neumann KM 105 or another condenser microphone sounds "better" for the single voice. But on a small stage, in the mix of guitars, bass, drums, keyboards, these condenser microphones are also easier to recouple. And who already has the conditions of a professional television stage?
Conclusion: So the Shure SM 58 will be likely to perform in the next 50 years on all live stages of the world.
A microphone which m rite its title of "l gendaire".
Seb F, 29.08.2011
I have this microphone and its wireless version (SLX) since 2010. I have always used these microphones in concerts and repeats, and robustness level, nothing to say, it can fall by 3 or 4 meters, it will always sound as good, even if the windscreen will end up bumping a bit. During the concerts I attended (alone or with experienced professionals), I always used these pickups for singing / chorus, and the musicians, as well as the audience, were delighted. Sound level, precisely, the restitution is good, even if it is not 100% faithful because its bump in the mediums, which gives this characteristic rendering of the microphone. However, it is a coloring given to the song, which brings, for me, more presence and energy in the voice. (Especially for singing Rock). If you do not like this coloring, there are 2 options: equalization, to reduce the response in mediums, or the choice of a more upmarket microphone, such as a Beta 58A (from Shure also), but Which will obviously be more expensive. On the "Package" side, there is everything in the box: Large scratch-resistant cable clamp to take care of its XLR, robust microphone clamp, and kit to transport the microphone without scratching it, damaging it. I therefore recommend this microphone, both for amateurs and professionals! What else can I say?
Offers include 24% Greek VAT and are valid as long as stocks last. Shipping costs to Greece are 20 EUR, free shipping on orders above 298 EUR. Please click here for international Shipping rates. We do not accept liability for typographical errors or inaccurate information of any kind. *RRP = manufacturer's / distributor's recommended retail price in Germany